Thursday, December 9, 2010

Love your coast!




Recently I was privileged enough to go on this awesome field trip with my fantastic school to Rangitoto Island for a huge clean up.

At first I wasn’t very excited because I got told at like 10pm and had done pretty much an all nighter the night before. Being knackered and having to wake up at 6:00am was not my idea of going on a fun field trip with kids I didn’t really know.

ANYWAY..

I got to school early as and got onto the bus, didn’t really talk to anyone, not even the teachers. Then another dilemma.. I was wearing jandels... I mean c'mon... jandels + Rangitoto volcanic rock areas do not work. At all! Trying to look on the positive side I had to appreciate the weather and this island that I have never been on before and! I was really looking forward to doing something that would benefit this island and the animals around it. The kids lifted my buzz; some had never been on a ferry before. It was really rewarding seeing there smiley faces.

The funny thing was this Maori television crew was following us around called Miharo? The presenter was really cool but it was very awkward doing takes and takes of just walking past a camera. The really rewarding thing was all the rubbish that the students and teachers had picked up. We where all allocated to a part of the island and we had about 20 students and 5 teachers total, we filled like 10 bags of rubbish like huge rubbish bags. We found glass and so much house hold rubbish; did I say this was all on the coast?

We really need to think about our environment! 

 On the way home, I was on a total high! Spending a few hours picking up rubbish really made a change, even if it was small. The kids got so much out of it and it was great to see them so involved and plus I made some new friends :)

3 comments:

  1. I love picking up rubbish and making areas look clean. I wish M.H offered that field trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "jandels + Rangitoto volcanic rock areas do not work."

    LAWL. That's more like a fail I would do, not you.

    I remember txting you the night before about the field trip, and how you were bummed you had to go haha it's good to see you had that much fun, I didn't know right.

    And MTV ftw. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are glad you enjoyed the trip!

    Sam Judd
    Co Founder and Events Director
    Sustainable Coastlines
    www.sustainablecoastlines.org

    ReplyDelete